COMMUNICATING THE VALUE OF THE BUSINESS EVENTS AND MEETINGS INDUSTRY: IMEX POLITICIANS FORUM
Since 2003, the Politicians Forum at IMEX has been bringing industry leaders together with representatives of governments and government agencies. Our aim is to garner government understanding and support, critical to the advancement of our industry.
The Politicians Forum is open to local and regional politicians, national ministers and government officials, senior representatives from international organisations, intergovernmental bodies and the meetings industry. By inviting your key government influencer, you can advance their understanding of the role this industry plays in supporting political agendas and sustainable development.
VIDEO: THE POWER OF MEETINGS
Please watch and share this powerful video to re-enforce the beyond tourism benefits of hosting meetings and events
THE ICEBERG CAMPAIGN
We have all been talking about the value of meetings for several years. Now it is your TIME TO ACT and join an elite group of recognised, high profile events to serve as examples to the meetings industry!
It is recognised amongst members of the Meetings Industry that the greatest value arising from association meetings is the professional, business, academic and economic outcomes they deliver. Being able to identify and demonstrate these broader benefits is critical to the credibility we need to ensure ongoing support for the industry among our respective communities and governments.
ECM is an official partner of the JMIC Case Study project, which has been created to help address this need. By participating in this initiative you will be helping to document the benefits, contributions and legacies of meetings and supporting the future of the industry while getting recognition for your own efforts as a facilitator of events that are changing the world!
How the Project Works
The Case Study Project is first and foremost based on identifying events that offer good examples of creating such broader benefits. This is where you come in.
You can participate in this program by simply identifying an association meetings whose purpose and outcomes illustrate the generation of benefits beyond simply spending-based impacts using this form. JMIC will then communicate with both the project team at the University of Technology in Sydney – who are looking at ways of measuring the benefits – and the editorial staff at The Iceberg, a new communications vehicle who as our promotional partners are looking for great stories to publicize.
Specific examples of case stories brought forward to date include:
- How a major disease-related conference raised awareness of prevention and treatment; improved networking amongst practitioners and resulted in increased government funding for research and treatment;
- How a convention centre in an emerging market undertook staff and casual labor training resulting in a new set of transferable skills in the local community;
- How a major trade show resulted in increased local business transactions while also raising global awareness of the destination’s role in a key economic sector;
- How a major medical conference facilitated communication of new procedures, predictors and treatment options to a broad range of local practitioners;
- How another medical conference resulted in the commitment of increased funding to research programming and new treatment options.
ADVANCING AWARENESS OF THE MEETINGS INDUSTRY AND THE BENEFITS IT CREATES
Another recommendation arising from JMIC is a need for a guide to using value information effectively in communications aimed at advancing awareness of the industry and the benefits it creates. This Guide is available here for free download by industry members as is a companion piece – the JMIC Meetings Industry Guide to Community and Government Relations – which provides details on the development of communications strategies specifically for this industry.